Director of Customs and Trade North America
Service Market Logistics (SML) is part of Group Trucks Operations (GTO). We are an organization of approximately 4,000 employees globally in more than 40 locations. Every day, we are delivering world-class operational excellence for our customers, based upon smart logistics solutions. Our job is to develop, manage and optimize the Service Market supply chain for all Volvo Group brands and JV’s. The scope for Service Market Logistics includes Flow Optimization, Inventory Management, Distribution Center operations, Customs & Trade, as well as the development of logistics solutions to ensure the highest possible parts availability, delivery precision and quality everywhere in the world. We strive for an innovative and diverse workplace, exercising the Volvo Group values with high focus on customer success.
Customs and Trade is an SML-hosted function that leads a professional team governing and supporting Customs Compliance for all Volvo Group Companies, as well as Production Logistics.
Mission/Purpose of the Position
The Director of Customs and Trade North America (NA) position is responsible to lead a team working to implement NA customs and trade compliance programs, acting as a senior manager and subject matter expert for trade compliance.
This position is responsible to secure compliant operations for the Volvo Group’s North American operations. The position leads a team of direct reports (including their teams in the United States, Canadaand Mexico), as well as provides guidance to indirect functional leads and managers in Volvo entities and operations. The position requires the ability to educate and hold individuals accountable on trade requirements to ensure full compliance is legally met.
Scope & Influence
This position reports to the Vice President of Customs & Trade and is part of the global Customs & Trade management team together with other regional and functional managers. The position is located in Greensboro, NC.
- Provide leadership of NA trade compliance teams, while supporting global business objectives.
- Communicate complicated and often arcane issues to senior management, regulators and legislators to ensure understanding of impact to changes in corporate or federal policies.
- Guide management in the application of government import/export regulations.
- Manage the NA Customs Team to ensure performance targets are achieved and to encourage and promote teamwork in an efficient and professional manner.
- Cooperate with various functional leaders, as well as operational leaders, to ensure understanding and application of import/export compliance as related to their work, and the Volvo business as a whole.
- Establish and develop a strong collaboration with all stakeholders.
- Maintain expertise of trade compliance regulations and issues.
- Ensure the adoption of new trade compliance practices and regulations.
- Secure necessary internal and external compliance controls.
- Support Volvo’s growth in identifying current and potential risks in all NA operations.
- Drive the development necessary to secure NA compliance and efficiency.
- Optimize the customs duty cost that is paid by the Volvo Group in the international movement of tangible goods across borders.
- Optimize supply chain flows while mitigating risk.
- Take an active part in the Group Customs & Trade global management team in order to develop and drive the business and strategies forward.
- Assure implementation of global processes, tools and best practices in the NA region.
- Work on continuous improvement through the Volvo Production System
- Provide skilled support, on-going training and guidance to the NA Customs Team, drawing upon hands-on experiences to ensure individual and team success.
- Drive, set plans and challenge the team to achieve results and targets while keeping high level of motivation and engaged people.
- Secure necessary resources to meet objectives
- Act as an inspiring and inclusive leader; attract, motivate, develop and retain talent.
- Lead and act according to Volvo values, drive change and promote diversity.
- Other duties as assigned by Management.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in International Business, Customs Compliance, Logistics or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 10 years’ progressive experience in Customs Compliance or a related field
- Good understanding of the Volvo Group businesses
- Extensive knowledge of global automotive supply chains
- Experience within the automotive industry preferred
- Extensive knowledge of trade programs for import and export (e.g. CT-PAT, NAFTA (now US MCA)).
- 3 years of line management experience
- Demonstrated ability to lead leaders and subject matter experts
- Demonstrated abilities in the Volvo Leadership competencies (Leadership experience)
- Experience working with logistics in a complex global supply chain preferred
- Demonstrated ability to balance risk and business results
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a global environment
- Demonstrated ability to drive change
- Demonstrated ability to set demanding targets and to motivate teams and individuals to deliver on set targets
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced team environment striving towards operational excellence guided by Volvo’s Values and the Code of Conduct
Necessary Technical/Functional/Language Skills
- Licensed U.S. Customs broker
- CCS, CES or CUSECO credential a plus
- Knowledge of Customs Regulations, Harmonized Tariff Schedule, U.S. Export and Foreign Trade Regulations, and ITAR
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is required.
- Spanish language ability a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively within a multi-cultural and international environment
- Good understanding of international logistics and transportation and related legal requirements
- Ability to prioritize with a focus on results
- Ability to drive continuous improvements and lean principles in an office worker environment
- Skilled in recruitment, development, and management of talent
- Ability to understand, interpret and communicate data & information in a clear and concise manner to decision-makers at all levels
- Ability to develop and maintain productive business relationships
- Energy, drive, and the courage to lead and deal with conflict management
- Excellent computer skills, (Microsoft Office applications)
For more information, please contact:
Ulrika Toftevik - firstname.lastname@example.org and +46 31 663013
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
Wir möchten Sie gerne kennenlernen
Sie erhalten eine E-Mail-Bestätigung, sobald Sie Ihre Bewerbung absenden. Danach ist es weiterhin möglich, Ihr persönliches Profil zu aktualisieren.
Sobald Sie zu einem Vorstellungsgespräch eingeladen werden, erhalten Sie von uns Informationen über die weiteren Schritte.
Alle Kandidaten werden benachrichtigt, sobald ein Kandidat für die Stelle ausgewählt wurde. Sie können wählen, ob wir Ihren Lebenslauf dann weiterhin in unserer Datenbank speichern und einen Suchagenten aktivieren, der nach anderen Stellen sucht, die Ihrem Profil entsprechen.
Wenn Sie Ihre Tätigkeit bei uns beginnen, erhalten Sie eine Einarbeitung, mit der Sie schnell ein Teil des Teams werden und Ihre Aufgaben bestmöglich bearbeiten können.